Kirkistown Castle Golf Club is the most easterly 18-hole links golf course on the island of Ireland and we are the closest links course to our capital city, Belfast. Located in the small village of Cloughey in County Down Northern Ireland on the east coast of the scenic Ards Peninsula, the Course overlooks the Irish Sea with the backdrop of the Isle of Man to the east and the Mourne Mountains to the south. For those Visitors who wish to enjoy an eclectic golf-filled few days, we are located near to the championship course of Royal County Down, Ardglass, St Patrick’s and Clandeboye Golf Clubs – an excellent mix of both Irish links and parkland experiences, all within a comfortable driving radius.
If you are travelling to Kirkistown from the Strangford side, you will be able to enjoy the Strangford to Portaferry vehicle/foot passenger ferry service which has been in operation for almost four centuries (don’t worry the ferries have been renewed since then!) The ferry departs on the half hour and the hour from the Strangford side and on the quarter to and quarter past the hour on the Portaferry side. An 8-minute ride across the narrow channel, Strangford Loch is a conservation area with abundant wildlife and marine life and is recognized internationally for its importance. It is a popular tourist destination noted for its fishing and scenery and boasts one of the strongest and fastest flowing currents in Europe and consequently is home to the world’s first commercial tidal stream power station, ‘SeaGen’.
* Please note all distances and timings are approximate; timings are applicable to driving by car
- We are 45 minutes / 25 miles drive from George Best Belfast City Airport
- We are 1hr 10 minutes / 45 miles from Belfast International Airport
- We are 2hrs 30 minutes / 123 miles from Dublin Airport
- Belfast (City Centre) 50 minutes / 26 miles
- Newtownards 30 minutes / 16 miles
- Bangor 40 minutes / 19 miles
- Downpatrick 45 minutes / 15 miles (via ferry)
Other County Down Courses:
- Royal County Down Golf Club, Newcastle 1hr 15 minutes / 27 miles (via ferry)
- Ardglass Golf Club, Ardglass 45 minutes / 16 miles (via ferry)
- St Patrick’s Golf Club, Downpatrick 45 minutes / 15 miles (via ferry)
- Clandeboye Golf Club, Conlig 35 minutes / 18 miles